The role of our chaplain is to:
- Build Relationships with Students, Staff and Families
- Offer Pastoral Care in the form of
- offering programs to help children develop leadership, self-esteem, resilience and other social and emotional skills
- providing support, encouragement and guidance to members of the school community
- being available to respond appropriately to crisis and special needs situations such as home visits, hospital visits and funerals.
- Provide a Positive Role Model
- Provide Practical Help for Teachers and Administrative Staff
- Provide a Link between Schools, other Professional Services and Local Communities
Positive Behaviour Approach
West Greenwood Primary School operates on the beliefs that all students, staff, and visiting members of the community have the right to feel safe at all times and have the right to work in a safe, caring, and productive learning environment. They also have a responsibility to support respectful relationships, encourage students to do their best, and support resilience.
The policy employed at WGPS acknowledges individual differences amongst students and provides for a flexible process for teachers and administrators to respond appropriately to misdemeanours and/or moderate breaches of the school code of conduct. West Greenwood Primary School favours a restorative (non-punitive) approach to behaviour issues and encourages interventions that are directed towards helping students learn appropriate classroom and playground behaviours.
We acknowledge that school staff and the home share responsibility for teaching children appropriate behaviours. We aim to provide a clear, structured process that supports the prevention of negative behaviour, teaching of appropriate behaviours, and positive reinforcement for students who uphold the school’s values.